Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Some phrasing analyses..

  1. #1
    Inactive Member DPFRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2004
    Posts
    115
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    seems to me like you stick to the 3+2 idea for phrasing within the groove part.

    Kind of like the Joe Morello take 5 thing.

    You could try phrasing it in 10.

    then you could do 2+2+2+2+2, 3+3+4, 3+3+3+1 (if you like that extra beat thing. There's all sorts of things. You could build it in 15 to: 3+3+3+3+3. 20: 4+4+4+4+4.

    There's also the ambiguous, where you don't meter it as much.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member JosiahM's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 20th, 2002
    Posts
    134
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Ah I'll have to check out more closely joe on that one.

    Honestly, the way the bass is I couldn't feel it doing much else.

    What I'm most interested in hearing from some of those monster players i know are around, are like 2things.

    The 4 bars, in between the solo spot. I'm playing a rhythm between the floor tom/snare. While i can play it, and feel it. I can hear the "base" rhythm in my head, over what else is going on.

    I just can't for the life of me, yet anyway, figure out what that phrasing is. It's I think some sort of polyrhthmic thing. I've been playing with this stuff a lot lately, and I love the sound that the crossing rhyhms give, the tension it creates.

    So perhaps, and ideally, somebody could point me in the right direction with out telling me the answer as to help me figure it out, wich would be a good way to learn.


    That's the main thing really. There are a few other weirdphrasing that I can't pinpoint exactly how it would be in theory, such as the groove at the very end on the bell of the ride.

    Thanks again for the time and comments. Sometimes I just can't figure out what I play.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Henry II's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 6th, 2005
    Posts
    696
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I can't figure out what your question is.

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ July 04, 2005 09:27 PM: Message edited by: Henry II ]</font>

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Dazzler's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 3rd, 2003
    Posts
    1,373
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post



    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ July 04, 2005 08:03 PM: Message edited by: Dazzler ]</font>

  5. #5
    Inactive Member JosiahM's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 20th, 2002
    Posts
    134
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Been browsing, havin't posted in awhile. Happy 4th to all as well (US).

    So here is a lil short tune, in 5, with a couple short solo breaks.

    Now, I know it's got some slop in it. Rough is a key word here for sure, I'm well aware of this and am taking steps to clean things.

    What I'm interested in hearing is some thoughts on the phrasing I was playing with and the ideas, good, bad, intersting, etc..

    I've been thinkin about phrasing and so forth lately and so I'd like your guys thoughts on my choice phrasing here. Thanks!

    http://josiah.warpspire.com/5take1-1.mp3

  6. #6
    Inactive Member JosiahM's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 20th, 2002
    Posts
    134
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Henry II:
    I can't figure out what your question is.

    <font color="#a62a2a"><font size="1">[ July 04, 2005 09:27 PM: Message edited by: Henry II ]</font></font>
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'm not sure what I'm playing, that is, if one were to write it out. I'm having troubles figuring that out.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •